Apologies for the wonkiness during the news section. Follow the links below to get the full stories.
Teaching Angela to Appreciate History
1979 – Skylab was deorbited.
They found something called a “Higgs Boson“. (It was behind the couch).
Ancient Malian scientific texts under threat from Islamist extremist groups in modern Timbuktu.
MEC says something stupid: blames crime on Satan.
Australopithecus Sediba has surprising things in its teeth.
(Aside: different kinds of Kryptonite)
SA Agulhas II on her shakedown cruise.
Pluto has five moons!
“It has nothing to do with god. People fear what they do not understand.”
– Dr. Hood (played by Rufus Sewell)
Eleventh Hour (US), season 1, episode 2, “Cardiac”
- Sceptics in the Park – Sunday, July 15th at 13:00. Johannesburg Botanical Garden, the Rose Garden
- Speak2aScientist – Thursday, July 19th at 18:30. Sci Bono Discovery Centre. Prof Simon Connell, lead particle physicist from the UJ-Atlas group – The “God-particle” discovered: a milestone in our lifetime!
- ScopeX – Saturday 21st July, 09:00 to 21:00. National War Museum, Johannesburg Zoo.
- Sceptics in the Pub – Thursday, July 19th at 18:00. Pizetta
- Owen in Primordial Soup #23
Link of the Week
Owen – Doubtful News