Teaching Angela to Appreciate History
- 1965 – Gemini V splashed down. It went into space and came back. It was awesome.
- Neil Armstrong is gone.
- Has UCT found a cure for malaria? UCT presser. Blag. Better article. Here? Here?
- Rhinos being poached for Vietnamese hangovers.
“Just because you cannot fathom the nature of a thing does not make that thing magic!”
– Doctor Terrence 13, All-Star Western #11, written by Jimmy Palmiotti & Justin Gray
- Open evening – astronomical history and sky viewing – SAASTA/Royal Society of SA. Saturday 25th August, 18:00 at the Johannesburg Observatory. Entrance is free. There’s a talk by Professor Francis Thackeray and some other cool stuff, including sky viewing, if weather permits. You’re invited to bring a picnic basket and enjoy the view at sunset before the proceedings start, as well as binoculars for the sky viewing.
- Public talk: Origin of Mass – Discovery of a Higgs-like boson – by the Wits SA-CERN team. Wits University. Monday 27 August, 18:00.
- Sceptics in the Pub. Wednesday 2th September 19:00. Green & Gold Pub.
- Royal Society SA Spring Science Showcase. SUNDAY 9th SEPTEMBER 2012 14:00-18:30. Delta Environmental Centre, Blairgowrie, Johannesburg. Entry fee – R120 per person (R70 students, postdocs, scholars).
- Talk Does Evolution really threaten Religion? – John Ostrowick. 11 Sept 2012 at 18:00. Origins Centre, Wits University.
- Cape Town
- Sceptics in the Pub – Friday 24th August. Beleza Pub.
- Open Night at SAAO – Black holes and other revelations. Dr. Vanessa McBride. Saturday 25th August 08:00 pm. Auditorium (SAAO, Cape Town)
- Sceptics in the Pub – Friday 31st August, 19:00. Touch of Madness
- Open Night at SAAO – Radio Astronomy Revolution – Dr. Nadeem Oozeer (SKA). Saturday 8th September, 08:00 pm. Auditorium (SAAO, Cape Town)
Link of the Week
Michael – Robo-journalism
Danny – Google Me
Angela Owen – Powerwatch – Huge database of studies of EMF re: dangers etc.